Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Green Light to Play...

Making the decision to play with the Metropolis Old Boys at the Aspen Ruggerfest next month was a case of putting the cart before the horse. I probably should have gotten the green light from my cardiologist before purchasing my plane ticket to Colorado.

Today I got the confirmation that I needed from my Cardiologist. A couple months out from my ablation, I still have a normal sinus rhythm.  The doctor said that with that in mind, I do not need to be on the blood thinner, Coumadin(also known as Warfarin).

That was a pretty important step, because lets face it, rugby is a contact sport, and being on the blood thinner has kept from playing(minus a couple of chances to get a run in) for most of the past 15 months.

The hope is to get the Old Boys going to Aspen to show up for Thursday practices before the trip on 16-20 September. As luck would have it, I am off the next couple of Thursday evenings from work, so I can get to those practices. (There are also practices on Tuesdays)

There is a saying "Be careful what you wish for-it might happen." I am about to find that out in a very big way on Thursday. Some of the guys have already warned me that coach Augie is running everybody hard, and the practices have had a high level of intensity made even more intense with the heat and humidity of a Minnesota August added in, for good measure. I'll have some company. My former rugby-playing(fly half) exchange student, Rodrigo from Portugal, is going to be here for a couple of weeks, and expressed an interest in getting a run in at the Metropolis practices while he is here.

I've been biking, lifting weights and doing doing sprints...but on Thursday, my training is going to get dragged kicking and screaming to a whole different level with the blessing of my Cardiologist.

Thanks, Doc.

No comments:

Post a Comment