Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Art of Rugby in Wellington, New Zealand....

My wife and I made it to New Zealand on Monday. We are settled in with our hosts Annette and Lex at their charming house in Lower Hutt, a 15 minute train ride from Wellingon, where the train station is very conveniently close to "The Cake Tin", Wellington's stadium where I will see USA-Australia on Friday, and Argentina-Scotland's key match on Sunday.

The thing that struck me today was the amount of rugby-related art here in Wellington. It went from a photo display by David Match, a photographer who shot pictures of rugby players, from amateur to pro, all over New Zealand...

From there, my wife and I went to the New Zealand Institute of Art, where they had several interesting pieces, including a likeness of Ritchie McCaw done up in toast...
 There were other paintings that I liked, as well...
The Wellington Museum City and Sea has an entire display of iconic pictures from Kiwi photographer Peter Bush's over 40 years of shooting the sport of rugby...
Another place in town had French Artist doing a large team caricature of the All Blacks...
 And in the park near the Wellington City Library, my wife and I found this statue with symbolism that goes beyond rugby, and gets into the forces of nature and humans that make up New Zealand....

It was all enough to make even the most hardened rugby fan smile...




No comments:

Post a Comment