Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Baa! Ram! Ewe!

While it is true that rugby was the catalyst for this trip to Australia and New Zealand, a tourist cannot live on rugby alone...well, at least a rugby tourist's wife would not be happy if we lived just on rugby alone on this trip.

We went to Sydney for 4 days and 3 nights, where we actually were able to see a performance of the opera, La Boheme.

We went back to my Aunt Kay's place in Myrtleford. She has a friend named Judy nearby who needed a hand sorting out sheep at here place near Milawa. Now for me, some of the earliest documentary films I remember about Australia were documentaries showing the big sheep stations in the outback, where burly guys would sheer sheep in outrageously hot conditions.

Well, yesterday was my chance to do something completely different. I got to help my aunt's friend round up all of her sheep, then sort them out: Rams, female lambs, then the rest. Judy doesn't have any Border Collies, so we had to use ATV's to round the sheep up into the pens and then sort them out. It was a lot of work,  and I had to learn on the fly how not to spook the sheep so that they would go the right way.

Of all of the things I had thought  I was going to do on this trip, herding sheep was one thing that I had not thought I was going to do, but we had a good time. I will say that I have a lot of respect for people who do this sort of thing on a regular basis.

Let the sheep jokes begin.






No comments:

Post a Comment