Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Good, the Bad and The Ugly From Albuquerque...

My wife and I were invited to join the Abluquerque Aardvarks for their Hall of Fame and Awards dinner this past weekend. Upon stewing about it today, I would like to submit my Good/Bad/Ugly list from this Past Weekend...

The Good:
The Aardvarks Awards Dinner- A really nice bunch of guys. My wife and I had a great time.
Piñon nuts-I had seen vendors selling them at the roadside on Highway 550 between Farmington and Albuquerque. I tried some for the first time this weekend. Piñon nuts are DELICIOUS. They melt in your mouth like butter. They are addictive, and they also are great added to a variety of recipes.(Like the Ice cream we had in Albuquerque)
In front of The Shipwreck
Scenery- I have been here in New Mexico a little over a month, and I never get tired of the natural beauty when I drive around this state...

The Bad-The only bad part was that the weekend passed by too quickly.
The Ugly- Drunk driving.

Here in New Mexico, there is one really, really ugly thing; and that is the amount of drunk driving. Highway 550 connects Northwest New Mexico with Albuquerque, and the thing that leaps out at me are the amount of mini-monuments that you see every few miles when you drive on this road for people who have died in accidents-most of them Alcohol related. It's a topic that dominates the news here in New Mexico, and even in conversation among my co-workers at the Navajo Medical Center in Shiprock. I know they are trying to do something about it here in New Mexico, but the carnage is very real, and very ugly, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment